Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Friend in My Old Age

Friend in My Old Age

This picture is of some South Sudanese church leaders holding solar powered MP3 players they received from Calvary Road Ministry (CRM).  The players were donated to CRM by In Touch with Charles Stanley.  Those players are loaded with audio NTs in English and local languages, along with 30 plus messages by Dr. Stanley.  The internal drive is also loaded with the whole OT in English.

Recently we received a testimony from Adam, a Sudanese church leader with whom CRM is in partnership.  He is currently living and ministering in Darfur, along with other Sudanese MBBs whom CRM enabled to return to their home area from Uganda where they have lived on refugee status.

Adam related that his father, who lives in a large IDP (Internally Displaced People) camp, has made his small dwelling available to other Darfurians as a place for gathering for prayers.  Before his father became a follower of Jesus, their prayers were offered according to Islamic custom and practice.  However, now their prayers are offered to the Father in the name of Jesus, and study of the Bible is also included when they gather.  Adam's dad owns an MP3 player, so they listen to the NT in Sudanese Arabic.  They are also taught Bible stories because Adam's 75 year old father has given of himself to learn the 42 stories illustrated on the first CRM produced Story Cloth.  He also owns a CRM supplied Engil-Sharif Bible,a diglot containing script in English and easy reading Arabic, from which he reads.

Recently, Adam's dad gave to one of his old friends an MP3 player to take home, so he could listen to the NT privately, and also encourage family members and friends to join him.  After a couple of days, he returned to the home of Adam's dad to give a report.  Adam's dad was not home, but because Adam was there, he gave his report to him.  Here is a loose quote of what he told Adam.

"As you know, I cannot read or write.  So as I have heard your father teach us the Bible, I have desired to study it for myself.  But how can I since I cannot read or write?  So I requested your father he loan me one of the players so I can listen to the Bible for myself.  I asked some others to join me so they could explain to me in the Fur language the Arabic words which I cannot understand.  So today I came to tell your father that I think this machine shall become a friend in my old age."

"Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God," Romans 10:17.  Those who support CRM in its ministry to people like Adam and his father, can rejoice in knowing that their investment has made it possible for people, who have had no access to the Bible or Bible teaching, to hear the Word through digital means, as well as from the mouths of people who have already chosen to follow Jesus as Lord and Savior. 

May this man's testimony serve as a reminder to all Christians, especially during this time of isolation during the Covid-19 crisis, of how blessed they are to own a copy of God's Word.  May we also esteem the Bible to be our dearest "friend" and turn to it often to seek answers and solace during this challenging time.  May we also be ready and able to share with others what we know and learn, even as Adam's dad has turned his humble IDP camp dwelling into a Bible teaching center.

David





No comments:

Post a Comment