Thursday, March 30, 2017

Hiking in Memory of Hope

In an earlier post entitled "What Compels You?" I shared that one driving motivation in my life which would lead me to take on a thru hike of the AT to raise money for ministry to S. Sudanese refugees was the death of my best friend, Scott Pfeifer, when I was age 15. 

 Another person who will be on my mind as I walk is Hope Stout.  I have posted a picture of her.  She was the youngest daughter of a first cousin of my wife, Renee.  The cousin's name is Shelby Shull Stout.  As you will note from the picture, Hope died at the age of 12.  She had a form of bone cancer that no treatment at the time could cure.

Her parents, Shelby and Stuart, wrote a book after her death entitled "A Legacy of Hope: The Wisdom of a Childlike Faith."  It chronicles well the events, struggles and victories that occurred as a result of Hope's courageous battle with cancer, and more importantly, her Christlike example of giving of self on behalf of others.  It would be a great book to give to any parents who have lost a child to cancer.

The lessons God taught Shelby and Stuart through Hope's experience led them to start a nonprofit in her honor, see https://marchforthwithhope.com/  Hope's birthday was March 4.  If you visit the website you will read more about Hope's story and the goals of this worthwhile charity.  The bottom line on all of it is that Stuart and Shelby noted while they spent countless days in the hospital with Hope, that the parents/families of many other kids suffering with cancer at the same time did not have the type of support system they did.  They saw the toll their child's battle with cancer exacted of them financially, psychologically and otherwise. 

Having seen the pain and struggles of others, in light of their own support system, made an impact on them.  They had to do something!  Thus they threw themselves full steam into the cause of making the general populace aware of how they could give financially to help families suffering from all that comes with a having a child hospitalized with cancer.

The apex of Hope's story occurred when personnel with the Make-A-Wish Foundation visited her and asked her what her wish would be.  She asked them the number of kids who were also awaiting their wish to be funded.  They said " we also want to help 155 other children if the funds become available."  Hope then told them that her wish was that the other 155 kids would see their wish fulfilled. 

The story of 12 year old Hope's other-centered attitude was soon picked up by Charlotte, NC area media outlets, and the ultimate result was that over one million dollars was raised by the people touched by Hope's witness.  Yes, enough funds came in to pay for the wish of those other kids.

My wife and I were living in Nairobi in 2003-'04 when all this happened, but I followed as best I could every step of Hope's journey by reading the entries on her "Caring Bridge" journal, and by emailing and calling back and forth with family members. 

Shelby and Stuart, you continue to be an inspiration to me, and your daughter's legacy continues to add fuel to the fire in my heart.  I have been in the refugee camps containing hundreds of thousands of S. Sudanese people.  I have heard some of their stories and have noted the price their suffering has inflicted on them. Hope's legacy compels me to try and follow her example of thinking first of others.

What compels you?

David Crane


No comments:

Post a Comment