Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Local Knowledge

The picture is of a Black Cherry milkshake from Tony's Ice Cream of Gastonia, NC.  Read about the history and products offered by this highly esteemed local, family owned business at http://tonysicecream.com/

I took this picture after walking 10.7 miles with Tommy Sills in the Crowder's Mountain State Park.  It was my first long hike in mountain like terrain in many years.  Tommy and I are age mates with many similar interests, so we had plenty to talk about along the way.  The walk took us 5 hours which makes for a 2 mile per hour pace.  That's about what I had hoped for going into this venture.  Sweet!

So how to reward myself?  Hmm, oh yeah, Tony's!!  Personal experience has verified what long term locals have told me since my wife and I returned to our home area in 2015 "Tony's tops all contenders."  As I enjoyed my black cherry shake, the thought hit me "if I didn't have that local knowledge, I would have opted for a "so-so" shake from some fast food chain which doesn't create the sense of rapture and awe a Tony's shake produces."

Local knowledge is a powerful thing.  I had just experienced it by hiking with Tommy.  He was raised near Crowder's Mountain and still lives nearby.  His local knowledge of the trails meant I did not have to worry about losing my way, or have to read all the trail signs.  I could focus on the beautiful surroundings, learning how to use my new Leki trekking poles, and enjoy our conversation.

Supporting people who have "local knowledge" working for them is one important reason why my wife and I, through Calvary Road Ministry, are committed to helping South Sudanese believers who are now refugees.  They possess the linguistic and cultural skills best suited for doing training within the refugee camps.

I trust you, the readers of this blog, will follow me as I thru hike the AT in my attempt to raise awareness and funding for S. Sudanese  believers who, during this time, are forced to live as refugees in neighboring countries.  And if God leads you to also donate to this cause, you can know you will be helping folks who have "local knowledge" working on their behalf.

No comments:

Post a Comment