Saturday, April 22, 2017

Rocks, Roots and Rain: The AT's Big Challenges

When we lived in Kenya back in the 1990s and early 2000s, every now and then down town Nairobi would be basically shut down due to rioting caused by students of the University of Nairobi.  Bob Calvert and I used to joke that it appeared some of the students must have joined the university to major in the "Three Rs" of "Running, Rock throwing and Rioting.

The main way we avoided the rioting down town when it occurred was to seek alternative routes out of town.  On one occasion back in 2000, I was expecting two young men, Bruce and Steve, to arrive at the airport around 10:00 p.m.  Renee and I were staying at a Guest House, which is located in the north of the city, and the airport is to the south.  The rioting that day had been especially bad and all of us were warned not to even think about venturing through the city.  So I left the guest house early enough, I thought, to make it to the airport in time via alternate routes.  Boy, was I proved wrong!  Every other driver in Nairobi, or so it seemed, had the same idea, and thus the traffic jam on those smaller streets was horrible.  Soon I realized I'd never make it to the airport in time.  What to do?

So I called Bob and some others on my vehicle's HF radio and told them I was going to plow through down town and to be praying for me.  I'll never forget the sights I saw as I zipped and zagged through the carnage on Nairobi's major artery.  Buses and cars were burning, windshield glass was all over the road, and there was all sorts of evidence that a big battle had taken place that day between the police, students, and perhaps others who sought to join in the mayhem for whatever reason.

I made it to the airport and walked into the Arrivals area just as Bruce and Steve walked out of Customs.  Afterwards we drove right back through the city, and contrary to my instructions regarding keeping their heads down to prevent being hit by a thrown rock, the guys hung their heads out the vehicle's windows and stared at what certainly looked like a war zone.

Well, now that I am on the AT, the "Three Rs" Adam and I are constantly having to deal with are: Rocks, Roots and Rain.  If the trail did not have so many rocks the energy and endurance required to walk it would probably require only %40 of what is actually demanded.  AND we have been told that it only gets worse starting in PA all the way to Vermont.  What???

So at this point I feel like I did after making the U-turn on that Nairobi street, and calling for prayer cover after reaching the decision that my only choice was to plow through the chaos caused by the "Three Rs."  Thus I am requesting that you pray for us as we plow ahead through these particular challenges.

Pray that our feet will remain strong and healthy.  Pray that we will make thousands of good, split second decisions each day regarding where to place our feet.  Pray that when the rains soak us, our clothes and our gear, that we will not grumble and lose heart; but rather embrace such conditions with a cheerful mindset.

Above all, pray that I personally will at all points keep uppermost in mind that this hike is about raising awareness of the plight of our South Sudanese brethren.  My challenges are self-imposed.  I could leave the AT whenever I choose and return to a comfortable home. Their plight has been imposed on them.  Such a condition is much worse that the "Three Rs" many times over.

David Crane

No comments:

Post a Comment