Friday, April 7, 2017

The Power of Legacy: What Compels You # 3

The picture is of my mom, Mary Etta, and my step dad, John (Jack) Wesley Stephenson.  Yeah, as his name implies, he has been a life long member of the Methodist Church.  They are members of the First United Methodist Church of Cherryville, and mom still plays the organ for them.  She would have retried by now, but whenever the subject comes up, the reaction that ensues can only be compared to what happens when a rock band plays their last song at a live concert.  If you have attended one you know what I mean.  The audience all stand and cry out "play more!" until the group returns to the stage.

Mom was a self-employed piano and organ teacher during most of her working life, and had the pleasure of training a host of men and women who went on to excel in various music related vocations.  My brother and I were not among that "host."  Mom required us to take piano lessons for a minimum of 5 years when we were kids, aged 8-13.  After 5 years we had the option to continue or opt out.  We both opted for football!  Mom received some great advice from colleagues, "do not try to teach your own children."  She followed that advice.  Good move mom!  Raising two rowdy, rough-and-tumble boys on your own was hard enough without throwing that into the mix.

Yeah, my mom had to raise us alone because her first husband died when I was age two and my brother only a few weeks old.  She remained a widow for going on 40 years before remarrying.  How I thank God He brought Jack into her life.  He is a class act.  He has added so much to my life personally, and to the life of our family at large.

Mom and Jack now live with us in a mother-in-law suite connected to our house.  When God was ready for their personal house to sell, he sent a neighbor lady to knock on their door and ask "I hear you want to sell your house.  May I buy it?"  The papers were signed a few days later.  Yep, God is still in the real estate business (got that line from Nathan Cothen of Beaumont, TX).

The last time I climbed Mt. Kenya (17,000 plus feet in elevation) with my youngest two kids, the going got tough for me on the home stretch.  When approaching the top, the slope is not only extremely steep, but it is very cold.  Plus one tackles the last stretch after waking up a 1:00 a.m. so he/she can be on top for the sunrise.  What helped me to get to the top was envisioning mom and Jack standing in front of me, encouraging me not to give up.  Sound weird?  Maybe.  But I swear I could hear their voices. And it worked! What a glorious sunrise that was.

They will celebrate their 20th wedding anniversary while I am doing my thru hike of the AT.  I want them and the world to know just how much the power of their example as individuals and a couple has meant to me.  They have exemplified in a multitude of ways, which space does not allow me to wax eloquent on, what it means to be God fearing, other-focused servants.

So Jack, you might be walking around these days at times with the aid of a walker and cane, but know that in a way that is real to me, you and mom will also be making this AT hike with me.  If nothing else, the power of your life's legacy will supply the power my feeble legs will need on many a steep slope.

Remember, you can sponsor me on this AT thru hike by sponsoring me at X amount per mile walked.  The AT is 2,181 miles long.  Or you can make a one time donation.  Checks made out to "Calvary Road Ministry" and earmarked for "Hiking to Help Refugees" should be mailed to: CRM, 4100 Fulton Rd., Corryton, TN  37721.  Or donate on line at: https://www.generosity.com/faith-religion-fundraising/hiking-to-help-refugees/x/16376073 

No comments:

Post a Comment