Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Lokichoggio




     Today is Sept 4 and Renee and I are in Franklin, NC. Since Saturday she has been enabling me to "slack pack.". She will return home on Tuesday.

     Slack packing is the term which refers to a long distance hiker carrying a small load/pack because they have lined up a plan involving someone dropping them off on the AT in the morning and picking them in the afternoon at a prearranged spot. Obviously it enables the hiker to walk further and with greater ease, but it also makes it possible for him/her to turn what would be very big climbs into big descents, i.e. hike north for a day instead of south.

     So after I hike the 20 mi between Deep Gap and Rock Gap
   today, which I will do N to S, I will have only 85 mi remaining to Springer Mtn. This should mean I will finish next Saturday or Sunday.

     I think my total mileage hiked at that point will be 1,652. My plan now is to conclude my hike at Springer, return home and focus on the fund raiser, as well as the logistics connected to our next trip which will occur Oct.23- Nov.6.

    That trip will take us to the extreme NW of Kenya to the town of Lokichoggio. There we will carry out another training for refugee pastors and women who reside in the Kakuma Camp. There will be 10 of us flying out altogether, and we will carry in our luggage all the MP4 players we have been enabled to purchase via your giving to "Hiking to Help..."

    The ministry from which we will purchase the MP4 players is call Faith Comes by Hearing and they are based in Albuquerque. Their representative I deal with has said for a big order they will need at least 3-4 weeks to load the players with the Sudanese languages we request.

    I have once again sent in a request to In Touch for 400  of their MP4 players. We took out 200 in Jan of this year. Join us in praying they will at least give us another 200. Their player is preloaded with messages by Charles Stanley as well as with the NT, Psalms and Proverbs, all in English. We can then add the NT in a Sudanese language on an SD card.

    Finally, for this blog entry, we have once again been granted a $2,500  
donation by the Chic-Fil-A Foundation toward buying Scripture for refugees. 

Uncle
.

No comments:

Post a Comment