Friday, September 15, 2017

Uncle's Last day and NIght on the Trail


                                                                                                          


Gooch Mountain Shelter
As you know by now, I reached Springer Mountain, the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail (AT) on Saturday, Sept. 9.
On the 7th I hiked from Neel Gap, which is at mile marker 31.4 if one is hiking north from Springer, to the Gooch Mountain Shelter which is located at MM 15.8.  In the process I hiked over the beautiful Blood Mountain.  I had heard from a number of north bound hikers how tough    climbing this mountain would be, but in comparison what I had already experienced up north, it turned out not to be much of a challenge.    However the views were great and I was pleasantly surprised to see just how beautiful North Georgia really is.   While on the top I met a man a bit older than I am whose wife started working for the IMB in August of 2016.  Small world!
As I approached the Gooch
Gooch Mountain Shelter
Mountain Shelter, I debated with myself as to whether to pass it and camp alone further south, or to spend my last night in a shelter where I would be more likely to be with other people.  I opted for the shelter and it proved to be a great choice for my last night on the AT.
First of all, a guy named Matt pulled in around 7:00 p.m. who was a classic example of an over-packer.    He must have been carrying a good 75 pounds.  His pack alone weighed 12 lbs and was military surplus.  Fortunately he was the kind of guy who can dish it out and take it, so I had a lot of fun with him.  What made the situation even better was the fact that a 24 year old thru hiker named Robert entered the shelter around 7:30.  He started at Mt. Katahdin on June 4 and did the whole AT in 98 days.  Robert and I laid it on thick as Matt pulled various items out of his pack, i.e. 6 lbs. of powered milk; 6-8 lbs of a powered protein shake mix, and an assortment of items he chose to carry "just in case" they might be needed.  The laughter and ensuing banter were like medicine for my soul.  The next morning before I left the shelter,  I asked Matt to put my pack on his back so he could feel the difference.  The look on his face was priceless!  I only wish I had asked Robert to stand nearby ready to take a picture when Matt hefted it on to his back.
During the evening, I asked Robert what his plans were after  
Robert
  arriving at Springer Mountain.  Given that the remains of Hurricane Irma were expected to hit that area of GA on Sunday night, I figured he would have somebody picking him up.  However his answer let me know he had no real plan since it involved catching a bus to Tampa, FL; an area currently being hit hard by Irma.  So I told him my wife would be meeting me and that we would be happy to carry him to a place where he could catch a bus to another destination.
 I left the shelter for Springer before Robert, but he caught up with me about 5 miles before we reached the end.  My thinking was if I beat him there Renee and I would have some time to ourselves for making pictures and a video.  However, in retrospect, I am glad Robert caught me because I really enjoyed the conversation we had as we traversed those last miles.  I sent Renee a text message upon leaving the shelter, asking her to bring food for two and alerting her that we might have a passenger on the way home.
Well, we ended up bringing Robert home with us, after we discovered he had an aunt and uncle living in a town only 2 hours from where we live.  That allowed us to learn more of his background, hear more stories of his epic thru hike, and shower some love on a fine young man.  And while ultimately I would have preferred to finish at Springer with Nephew, finishing with Robert and getting that extra time with him was, I believe, a God-given gift which acted as the best possible substitute.  I carried him to the bus station on Sunday afternoon after we attended a church service and fed him a big lunch.  
Providing Robert with that "trail magic" made the whole act of finishing my own hike easier and even more special.
On Monday afternoon, Renee and I traveled to Ridgecrest where we attended a meeting held every 5 years the IMB puts on for emeritus personnel.  We returned home on Thursday afternoon, and in part that is why I am delayed in sending out this update.  During the first day of the meeting, on several occasions, people who have known me for 25 years passed me without recognizing who I was, until they saw Renee sitting with me.  I enjoyed immensely the look on their faces, and the ensuring words of affirmation from people I have respected for years was like balm to my weary soul. 
Here are some basic facts pertaining to my AT hike.
   a. I ended up hiking 1,652 miles in 104 days

   b. I started on April 9 and finished on Sept 9, taking 40 days off after I left the AT on June 4 in 
Vermont.  Two weeks were given to healing up from celluitis and shin splints and the majority of the other days were focused on visiting grandchildren.

   c. I ended up with an average of 15.8 miles walked per day.  In the process I put some serious wear and tear on 4 different pairs of hiking shoes, finishing up in the same brand 
of North Face I started with.  Other than shoes and shoe inserts, all other equipment survived and performed well.

   d. I know I was blessed with the support of a small army of prayer supporters.  Various old friends and family members provided much welcomed help at critical times, and I am extremely grateful for each person.  

   e. Renee's first cousin, Ron Ritchie, did an outstanding job of making my blog and trail update       entries look so much better.  His involvement and input proved invaluable from start to finish. 
Uncle























No comments:

Post a Comment