Friday, September 1, 2017




                                                                www.swoutfitters.com/



     As I mentioned in my.last update, I was helped with my hiking by Brody Holloway and two interns of the Snowbird Wilderness Outfitters of Andrews, NC. In this blog entry, I want to focus on how I came to know Brody and the camp, and make sure you, the reader are aware of it.

     If you go to the website of the SWO you will read that it is "a Gospel-centered, high adventure ministry aimed at making disciples of those who participate in their activities." 
 
     Well I want to add my personal testimony to the truth of that claim.
 
     I first heard of SWO from Robert and Meredith Lane. They are members of the Echelon Team, and when I was the Chadan Cluster's Strategy Leader, I worked closely with them. They both served as counselors or interns at SWO before marrying.  They both testified of the great impact serving at the SWO had on their lives.  They even held their marriage ceremony on its campus.
 
     When Jeremy and the Echelon Team began doing their 4 month Bush Camps in NE Uganda, they called on SWO to send folks to help them carry out the camps, I.e. help with child care, etc. They have also turned to former SWO interns to come out and join their team via appointment with the IMB. I am happy to say every person I met associated with SWO were well trained and made great Gospel workers.
 
     Brody Holloway is the camp's director. We got to know him and his wife "Little" when they spent an extended time in Uganda while adopting two Ugandan children. They spent some nights in the guest house we maintained behind our Entebbe rental house.  Our interaction helped me understand their ethos and passions, and certainly helped me understand better why SWO is Gospel and discipleship oriented.
 
     So if you are looking for a great summer camp option for your child, grandchild or other family member, know that SWO should be on your radar screen. Go to their website and check out the variety of options which exist for benefiting from SWO's multifaceted ministry.
 
     Having mentioned Robert Lane, let me close this blog by saying I now understand much better why he calls himself a "Minimalist." Robert did an AT thru hike either before or after working at SWO. We talked about his hike a little bit through the years. For sure, carrying all you need for living on your back for months will change your perspective regarding how much "stuff" we should own.

Uncle
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment