Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Bears, Bears and More Bears
                                                                                                          



     Today is July 21 and I am camping at a US Forest Service campground called Hurricane Creek.
 
     Tomorrow will be a big day as I will climb over Mt. Rogers, the tallest in VA. As I look at the AT guidebook, it appears to be around 5,600 ft. At one point I will descend from 5,200 ft to 2,800. Here is hoping the new shoes do not cause heel blisters!
 
    I mentioned in my last update I was headed to the Chestnut Knob Shelter and that it was unique in that it has 4 walls and a door because of the number of bears in the area. The door, I discovered, has a strong spring on it, so it is hard to open.
 
    When I opened I found two young ladies already inside.  The look on their faces as I heaved the door open was priceless, I.e. totally freaked out. I only wish I had known they were in there and I would have growled loudly before opening the door! They are hiking for a few months after graduating from Appalachian State. 
 
    The area has lived up to its reputation of having lots of bears. I have now seen 12 since headed south. I saw two this morning after leaving the Partnership Shelter. The cub climbed a tree while mom stood at the base of the tree and
glared at me.  
 
   Renee, Mary and Judah visited me on Wednesday. It was a short but good visit. They got to witness how much I am able to eat in one sitting these days. Mary got to put on my pack filled with 4 days of food and 2 liters of water. So now she has a better idea of what her dad is hauling around. 
 
    I hope to arrive in Damascus, VA in 2 days. It is one of the more famous trail towns as an annual Trail Days Festival is held there in April. For me it will be just another stop along the way. However, psychologically it does represent the beginning of the home stretch of the southern section as one nears Springer Mtn. From that point on the mountains will be much taller.

Uncle

No comments:

Post a Comment