Monday, July 17, 2017

Update 13





    Renee dropped me off at at Mile Marker (MM) 1514.1 on Tuesday, July 12 and today, Sunday July 16 I made it to MM 1606.6.  So I have now hiked around 1,060 miles. I am pushing this week to get as close to Boone, NC as possible as Renee, Judah and Mary will visit me this upcoming Wednesday starting from Boone.  Thanks Robin for allowing them the use of your place!
     I had one short day of 7 miles as I spent one night in Pearisburg  
  because I heard a lot of rain was coming. However I think I have now learned that in the South there is no need to get off trail due to weather reports re rain, as what happens is scattered showers, not all day affairs.
    The weather has been hot but not as bad as I expected, thank God!  I did learn the hard way the first day back out to make double sure to stay hydrated well during the hottest part of the day. 
    I picked up a cheap Verizon phone before returning to the AT and it is helping me to stay in regular contact with family. 
    The hiking since returning has taken me through some beautiful forests but the views have been limited. This section is not one I would necessarily recommend for section hiking. However I have been through a lot of Rhododendron "Hells" and have enjoyed seeing many blooms.
    I have been told the upcoming section between Bland and Damascus is crawling with bears. The
next shelter I will stay in, the Chestnut Knob Shelter, has a door one can close due to bears. Should be interesting!
    Thanks to all who have made it known you are praying for the Lennon family. "Home Base," Kim Crane, is keeping me abreast of news re Nephew and the Lennons. His hike, as far as doing the southern section, is possibly over, and that is understandable. Please pray that our Lord will show me what to do after making it to Springer Mountain in GA, i.e. go north to ME and try to complete a thru hike or call it quits and use the time to fully prepare for our last week of October return to Kenya. 
     We still need to raise a lot of money for our goal of $100K to supply scripture and Bible based training for our refugee brethren.

Uncle

No comments:

Post a Comment