Monday, July 3, 2017




Update 9 June 29                                                                  
 
    On the 28th I hiked from the Bobblets Gap Shelter MM 1443.2 to Troutville at marker  1460.2. There I was picked up by an old friend we will call J. He and his wife now live in Roanoke. He picked me at around 20:00 and took me to their house where I bathed and washed clothes. I noted J kept his car window down on the trip. Hmm? Maybe I smelled?
 
    It was good to visit and discuss lots of things connected to the past and present. 
    The next morning he took me to a breakfast buffet. Boy did I eat! J then took me shopping for 4 day's of food. He then took me to Daleville's Post Office and I took out of my bounce box what I wanted and mailed it back home since Renee will pick me up on the 8th.
 
   The last stop was at an outdoor store to buy more cooking gas and my 3rd type of Super Feet; a rigid shoe insert. I think this model is my favorite.
 
   I got a late start out of Troutville but walked 11 mi to the Lambert's Meadow Shelter MM 1471.1. I stopped at a store on 220 to eat more, and make calls. Talked to B Calvert and found out they will move to Sumter, SC in a few weeks where he will serve on staff at a church. An answer to prayer!
 
    About a quarter mi from the shelter I saw a 300 lb (+) bear. I filtered water nearby and kept a sharp eye the whole time but never saw him again. This shelter has a bear box so all is well.
 
   I am a bit conflicted about how far to go tomorrow. I may get off at the Newport Rd and stay at a hostel. That would give me a 16 mi walk and then I would be fresh when I climb the Dragon's Tooth
at MM 1487.8 the next day.
   For what it is worth. I have now hiked 923.7 mi. Yeah!  

Uncle

No comments:

Post a Comment