Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Busting Spider Webs




    Since returning to the AT on July 12, I have discovered I am just about the only hiker who is south bound (SoBo) on the trail.

    What this means practically is that I am spending most of each day alone, and I get to bust through all the spider webs.  
   I do not mind that so much, but I must confess I have never been a big fan of having a web across my face.
 
    Performing this action dozens of times each day has caused me to think of some of my family's African spider stories. Here are my two favorite.
 
    One evening as I was working in my office to prepare for teaching in our Bible school, I heard Mary say "dad, I just heard a tarantula land on the floor of Zeb's bedroom." At first I did not believe her. I mean could a tarantula weigh that much? But when I went into the room, I saw she was right! A tarantula was on the floor. 
 
    The next night Zeb was home from RVA and when I went into his bedroom to kiss him good night,
I saw he was under his mosquito net. Now that boy always refused to sleep under a net so I said to him, "I am glad to see you have decided to use your mosquito net." To that he replied "it is not for mosquitoes, rather it is a tarantula net!"
 
    The second one happened one evening when I returned home from Nairobi with groceries.  As Thomas and I unloaded them, we saw a mouse run under the upright freezer.  So we decided to stand on either side of it, slide it out from the wall, and dispatch the mouse when it ran out. As we slid the freezer, a mouse, a tarantula and a scorpion ran out. 
 
    That was so unexpected we just stood watching and burst out laughing! I think we killed the scorpion but the other two lived to see another day.
 
    At least there are no tarantula webs to burst through on the AT!

Uncle 

No comments:

Post a Comment