Tuesday, July 4, 2017



                                                                                      

.
Update 10 July 1
 
   On June 30 I hiked from Lamberts Meadow Shelter, MM 1471.1 to VA 624 Newport Rd MM 1487.4. Rained on me the last couple of hours so arrived at the Four Pines Hostel, located only .3 of a mile from the AT, soaking wet.
 
    I got a shower there and dried out my clothes a bit. This a.m. I will climb the Dragon's Tooth.
 
    I met a fellow yesterday a.m. as I left the shelter and during our talk he said he planned to climb it as well today. He is section hiking with his dad. He did a thru hike in 2012.  He has agreed to pick me this hour at the hostel and carry me to the parking lot adjacent The Tooth. We will climb together then he will return to his car and drive to a place ahead where the AT crosses a gravel road at MM 1495.3 Trout Creek. There I will retrieve my pack and keep hiking. 
 
    So I get to do this famous climb not having to carry my full pack.  Sorry to let Nephew down and break the "no slack packing" rule he has set for himself, but I am going to do it at least this once.
    Well, I am typing this update at 14:22 at the top of Brush Mountain that required a 1,400 ft climb.  Took a break hoping I would have cell network but no luck. The slack packing experience was wonderful. I flew over that 7 mi stretch and the Dragon's Tooth climb turned out to be no big deal. But the views were good and it is a unique place.

Uncle
 
P.S.
Made it to the Niday Shelter by 19:00. Have new heel blisters to deal with. Ugh. If "Grand Poopa"  (His trail name) reads this please receive my thanks for making my day in different ways. BTW fans of the Flintstones Cartoon should recognize where that trail name comes from.

No comments:

Post a Comment