Friday, July 28, 2017

Made it to Damascus, Va.








     As I mentioned in my last update, I was about to hike through the Grayson Highlands State Park and over Mt. Rogers, the tallest in VA.  I must say that the environment of the Grayson Highlands is as pretty as anything I have seen thus far.  The views were outstanding as the tallest hills in the park are mostly free of trees and more like what is commonly called a "bald."  The balds were covered with blueberry bushes but they had already come and gone before I arrived.

     The area is famous because there is a small herd of wild ponies which inhabit the area.  I got to see a few of them, and also a few of the cows which also roam free.  If you are looking for a section of the AT to hike over a weekend, I would highly suggest the Grayson Highlands.

     After hiking through the Highlands, I spent the night at the Thomas Knob Shelter.  My intent was
to press on to Massie Gap and get off the trail and spend the night and resupply at the Grayson Highlands Country Store and Inn.  I was under the impression I could camp there.  When I got to the shelter, a 67 year old man by the trail name of Moses walked in.  His phone had enough coverage for me to call the store and confirm they could pick me up at the trail head, and that I could stay there.  The proprietor of the store told me they closed at 7:00 p.m. and pointed out there was no way I would make it to the Massie Gap trail head before that hour.  So I had to change my plans and stay where I was.  A fellow from the Winston Salem area, Carl, also stayed at the shelter that night, and the next morning he agreed to take me to the store and return me to the trail.  My, but how God provides!

     The next day I climbed both Mt. Rogers and White Top Mountain.  At around 5:30 I decided to
pitch my tent near a gravel road just under the crest of White Top.  That night a big time thunder and lightning storm hit the area around 10:00.  Since I was near the top of the mountain, the sound of the thunder as it echoed off the surrounding hills was awesome.  It reminded me of how the sound of thunder rolled over Lake Victoria when Renee and I lived in Entebbe.  The lightning kept my tent lit up for hours.  When I was in Damascus, a local told me that thunderstorm was the worst they had experienced in 2017.  

     The morning after the storm, I set out to make it to the Saunders Shelter where I would spend the night before entering Damascus.  As I climbed the last bald before making a steep descent, I was almost knocked over by the wind gusts that were still blowing.  The area was also covered by thick fog.  As I arrived at the top of that bald, I was shocked to see a fellow standing there beside his tent an a 1,200 CC BMW motorcycle.  Turns out he camped there hoping just to see a beautiful sunset.  How he got there on that big bike is beyond me.  He said he would have to wait until the fog lifted before he could get himself and his bike down to the gravel road.  He said his name is Richard and he is from Seattle, WA.  Over the last year he traveled back roads from Seattle to Key West.  He took back roads and turned what could be a 3,400 drive on main highways into a venture of over 12,000 miles.  I have not checked out his Instagram account, but he told me his user name is ADVRover.  It was an interesting encounter to be sure and I enjoyed our conversation.

     Before I walked down to the Saunders Shelter, I called Renee.  
  We ended up making a plan for her to pick me up in Damascus the following day, so I could spend a few days at home with her and Judah before they depart on Tuesday.  Renee will make an 11 day trip to return Judah to her parents.  This break will also allow my feet to rest and recover and enable me to help Renee pack and take care of other pressing practical matters.

     It was a special moment for me to walk through the most famous of trail towns.  The Damascus area is beautiful and at this time of year people come from all over the southern USA to bicycle on the many trails that are in the area.  The shops that rent bikes have special "bikes" that an adult can pull behind theirs.  We saw dads pulling such bikes with young children and even infants in them.  So the whole family can share in and enjoy the biking experience.

    On another topic, please remember the Lennon family on Friday as the funeral for their son, Owen Lennon Jr., will take place that day.  Stephen and Kim, Nephew's parents, will fly up to New York City today and stay through Sunday.  

     I am not sure yet exactly when I will return to the AT but it should be within a couple of days.  Thanks for your ongoing prayers.  Please also pray for Renee as she makes this upcoming long trip.
Uncle

No comments:

Post a Comment