Wednesday, July 5, 2017



Update 11

I spent Saturday night, July 1, at the Niday Shelter, MM 1504.2. The walk across the Brush Mountain involved a very long ridge line and then a steep downhill. The Audie Murphy Monument is located at
the top, MM 1499.1, and I took a pic of it. It was erected there in 1974 to honor the most decorated soldier of WWII who died in a plane crash near the site.

    While hiking the ridgeline I ran into a guy who has worked for the State Dept a # of years. He was posted in Chad for a year. Was a unique experience to talk about N'Djamena and environs while on the AT.
 
    The distance between water sources is getting longer at points but I am also discovering I can now go further on 2 liters than before.
 
    At the Niday Shelter I ran into a guy Nephew and I saw in the Shenandoah Park back in April,
Meandering Snail. He only walks 8 mi or so a day and is south bound. He spent 12 years in India and when he returned to the USA he landed in PA. After attending an event there he chose to get on the AT and meander.  Hmm. Guess he is trying to figure stuff out. Interesting way to go about it!
 
   As I think about returning to the AT in the future to section hike with family members or friends, the section I walked from the James River, MM 1405.1, to VA 621, MM 1502.8, sure has a lot to recommend it. The view from McAfee Knob and other places along the way were outstanding. 
    

Uncle

No comments:

Post a Comment